We are experiencing Digital Marketing everyday and a Digital Marketing strategy is important for every business. Decision makers understand the importance of having a plan and have a sense of urgency to implement the plan however, not many decision makers understand this area fully as it may not be their personal area of expertise, lack of research or even time constraints.
Firstly, let’s get more clarity on the term “Digital Marketing”.
Digital Marketing is simply creating a demand for your product or service through any electronic channel to drive sales.
Digital Marketing is valuable in business because it is data driven and data, is the difference between traditional marketing and digital marketing.
Business leaders are able to make better decisions based on the data received and changes can be made easier and faster, business can be more agile. This process is referred to as an iterative process because a Digital Marketer can learn from the feedback.
The iterative process goes like this: The Digital Marketer creates the message, publishes the message, measures the engagement, learns from it and then adapts or changes it to get a better result and more engagement to drive sales.
If you are one of these leaders that needs a better understanding of Digital Marketing and the “terms or talk”, here is a simple list of what is meant:
Digital Marketing basic terms:
- Email Marketing (E-newsletters) this is sending an email to all your people who have subscribed to your emails.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM) is a Paid for Search.
- Pay Per Click (PPC) is you as the advertiser, pay only once a person has clicked on your advert on Google or on social media sites.
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is a process where online content is created by using keywords in order for a search engine like Google to find and list your content at the top of the search. There are best practices for this process.
- Website Optimisation is designing a website so that it is user friendly for people to view services and products and to help it rank better on a search engine.
- Google analytics is a tool on Google that assists marketers to view the engagement and understand the activity on your website.
- Blogging is to write content (usually seen as an online diary) and upload it to an online platform, usually a website.
- Content Marketing is creating valuable content online (over time) so that a company has more credibility and can be found in search results.
- Word press has a content management system and is easy to use.
- Keyword research is a word or a term that customers would search for (on a search engine) to find information, a product or a service..
- Social Media Marketing (SMM) is a way of marketing valuable content online via various social media platforms.
- Mobile Marketing is communicating via any mobile device. This is a very personal channel and should be used cautiously as your brand can be negatively impacted, this can be seen as intrusive marketing because it is close to the consumer.
Before embarking on hiring a Digital Marketer to assist your brand, make sure that your company has a clear company strategy and message because this forms the foundation of the Digital Marketing strategy.